Monday, April 6, 2009

Connecting with celebrities

So I have never been one of people who is obsessed with a celebrity or band or book series. I never had 7 posters of Backstreet Boys on my ceiling or the entire collection by Stephen King. I am finding this topic particularly difficult. When I think of celebrities I admire it is more of a wanting to be them as supposed to wanting to meet them. I will look at the girl from the Pussycat Dolls and think “oh I wish I had her body or Kim Kardashian – “I wish I had her life” or Britney
Spears
– “I wish I had that much money”. None of those are going to happen in the near future but at least I can get taken off to dream land whenever I watch E!.

If I had to choose one celebrity that I have followed throughout the years it would have to be shakira. I enjoy her music and I have been to her concert. I also like that she is respectable, not always in the tabloids for not wearing underwear (gross) or something of the sort. Her dancing is admirable and inspiring she embraces her Arab roots and her Colombian upbringing. She also crossed over to English music to impress the American market.

Another reason I like Shakira is because I have seen her transform. She was one of the first musical artists I was exposed to. She was popular when I lived in Chile( 1st to 3rd grade). The first music video that I remember ever watching was hers. She had black hair was heavier and her music was either very Arab or social conscious ballads. I remember I could barley understand what she said but I always tried to sing along the words making up the ones I didn’t know.

She is one of the few connections I have had from country to country she was popular in all of them. I watched her go from chubby social fighter to bleach blonde sex bomb to organic beauty. . I have only been to three concerts in my life one of them was hers. Her music goes hand in hands with many of my memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment